Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Big Red and Eric both got hurt yesterday...

I went to look at a townhouse yesterday morning.   Google said it was 10 mins from the house to the office, and I wasn't expecting it to take 5 mins.  So I missed the exit to Hammer Lane.   No biggie, I thought.  I will just go up to the next exit and come back.   Sitting there waiting for the red light to turn green, when all the sudden..... BAMM!!!
I was jolted forward 30 feet.  I had no clue what happened.  Once I looked back, I saw the car that rear ended me.  I sat in my truck for what seemed like forever going over mentally  "Can I feel my toes? Am I bleeding? Can I get out of the truck?"   I finally moved my truck to the side of the road and immediately felt pain in my lower back.  I sat there for a while, but I had to get out and see if everyone else was ok.

The young boy, maybe in his early 20's, was looking for his glasses.  I didn't see them, so I left him and went to the other car.   She was fine, only a dented bumper.  I went back to my truck to find my cell to call 911 and couldn't.   It took the 4th try to flag someone down to have them call 911.   Why are people so inconsiderate?  I would NEVER see someone flag me down to help and then just drive on by.  It's not like I was asking for change.  

Anyway, the kind lady called 911 and the "bus", my friend from back home is an EMT and that's what she calls it, finally arrived.   They took my vitals, and I refused medical treatment.  2 fire engines and a 5-0 came too.

After about an hour, the scene was clear, and all statements were given to the CHP officer.   They had to tow my truck away since it wasn't drive-able, so Fanny picked me up and took me to the office.  I had then decided that my back hurt enough to go to ER and get checked out.  Nothing was broken and the DR said I most likely just had some soft damage.  He put me on Vicodin and 800mg Motrin.  I took today off to rest.  I think that was a good idea.

Since I've never been in a major accident before, I was unsure on how this would work.  What happens is I file a claim thru my insurance and they go after his insurance.  It's a good thing all parties involved had full coverage.  

I picked up my rental yesterday.  I have it for 30 days.  It's a 2011 Ford Fusion.   It's SUPPOSED to get 30 -35 MPG.  We'll see.  USAA is gonna get my truck today and appraise the damage to see a more detailed estimate is needed to total it or not.

No comments:

Post a Comment