Tuesday, September 11, 2012

9/11

This is my first attempt at a blog.



Today is the 11th anniversary of 9/11.  This is my story.



I had been in Sebring, FL for 9 months now. 

David Sleeper, the mobile irrigation lab Soil Conservationist, and I were evaluating some irrigation systems in an orange grove.  We heard some bits and pieces on the radio as we worked until about 11:30am.   

David and I finished and made our way to the grove house, where they had the TV on.  I sat in amazement and shock as I watched the 2 towers fall, the plane crash into the Pentagon, and one the brave passengers brought down in the field on Pennsylvania.

David asked me, who is an incredibly nice and sweet old man, at least 100 times "Who would do this?"   All I could say is "I don't know!"  I had never heard the term Al Qaeda before and didn't know who or what that was.

To continue my story, we went back to the field office where my DC had an old black and white tv on he got from storage and the whole watched for a few hours until he said, "Lets all go home!"   I couldn't afford cable tv at that time in my life, so I went to a local pizza place to watch the news coverage, and they didn't mind as I wasn't the only one there watching.  I was there for a few hours until I went home. I went back there the next night, too.

I remember the feeling of sadness and anger over the people that claimed responsibility for this.  My eyes were opened to a world that wasn't as nice and caring as the country boy from Indiana would have liked it to be. I donated blood that week in honor to our brave men and women that fell that dark day in Americian history.

Never forget!!

No comments:

Post a Comment